A postdoctoral research fellowship in solar physics is available at the INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Capodimonte, Naples (Italy) for work related to the project “Flare Chromospheres: Observations, Models and Archives” (F-CHROMA) funded by the EC programme FP7-SPACE-2012.
The successful candidate will work together with other Consortium members on the analysis and interpretation of high spatial and temporal resolution solar flare observations and the development of archives of observations and models. The particular emphasis in INAF-Capodimonte is on the calculation of the time evolution of chromospheric flare radiation and on the analysis of multi-wavelength observations of chromospheric flares.
– Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent in Astrophysics, Astronomy or Physics (alternatively, they must possess at least three years of documented scientific experience after a degree which would entitle to the admission to a PhD program);
– Research experience in radiation hydrodynamics simulations in astrophysical contexts and/or research experience in Solar Physics, with emphasis on the analysis of multi-wavelength observations.
– Independent and collaborative research skills;
– A good command of written and spoken English.
Duration and starting date:
– The fellowship is initially awarded for 12 months, and can be extended up to the duration of the F-CHROMA project (31 December 2016), depending on positive assessment of performances and on funding availability;
– The preferred starting date for the fellowship is 1 October 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter.
– The gross salary for this employment contract is 32,000 Euro/year, subject to about 10% contribution to social security. Travel funds will be available.
– The application deadline is 7 August 2014.
– More information and full application procedure:
Informal enquiries are welcome and are to be directed to Vincenzo Andretta (email@example.com)